How to fix Garmin GPS issues?
If you have been using Garmin GPS for quite a while then at some point you might start facing some issues with it. You may face issues with GPS connection, your screen may start to freeze up randomly, or maybe it will stop working mid-workout. These are normal issues that any device starts to experience after some time.
So, what should you do to fix these issues? Here are some tips that may help you solve and even avoid these issues:
- If you are using Garmin GPS smartwatch, make sure to recharge it at regular intervals.
- Some Garmin GPS devices use batteries that needs to be changed after specific intervals of time. So, make sure that when you start facing an issue where it suddenly stops working, it may just need battery replacement to fix it.
- If your device screen starts to freeze randomly, press and hold the power button to turn it off and then turn it on again. Most of the time a simple restart may do the trick.
- If you keep facing different issues frequently with your Garmin GPS, you can do a Hard Reset and restore the device to its factory settings. A Hard reset may keep these issues away for a good amount of time. But, be warned that doing a hard reset will also erase all your saved data.
Every Garmin device has a varying process for hard reset. You may search how to do reset for your specific Garmin device.
But, if you want to resolve these issues while keeping your data saved, you should sync and save all data through connect app. You can also get in touch with our technician for best troubleshooting advice specific to your issue.
Why does Garmin GPS can’t find satellites?
If you are using Garmin Automotive GPS device and your device takes a long time to find satellites or can’t find satellites, it may be due to any environmental causes.
You should try these solutions to fix this issue:
- Adjust your Garmin device’s antenna to Make sure it is pointing towards clear sky. If there are any disruptions like tall building or crowded space then it may have caused an interference with the signals.
- If you are running Garmin set up for the first time, then it may be taking longer to locate satellites. Make sure that there is an open sky view available for GPS to find satellites.
- If you have not been using the GPS device frequently for a few months then it may take longer to find satellites and calibrate all your user data.
- If you think it’s taking too long, restart it and take it outside in clear sky view so it can find satellites more easily.
- If your GPS device software has not been updated in a long while then perhaps it is having issues as it needs the software update. Just go to the Garmin Express and install the latest version of software update.
- If nothing else works, then the last resort is a hard reset. If you decide to do a hard reset, remember it will also erase all your device settings and data and restore it to factory settings. But it is also your best chance to fix the GPS issue.
How to Reset Garmin GPS?
Here are the steps to perform a hard reset:
- First, make sure to create a backup of your data.
- Then, start with turning your Garmin device switch Off and unplugged the device.
- Press and hold the bottom right corner of your Garmin Device touchscreen.
- Now, turn the Power button On without letting go of the hold on touchscreen.
- A prompt will appear asking if you want to erase all user data, on the screen.
- Now you can remove your finger from the touchscreen
- Press Yes
- Now another prompt will appear on your screen asking about Language and region.
- Select the relevant Language and region from the list.
- Continue and let the device reset.
- As soon as the reset is done, the device will need to find satellites. So, take the device outside where there is clear view of sky is available.
Now this process will take a few minutes to complete, so wait patiently for the GPS to find satellites.
When the GPS finishes finding satellites, your device has successfully completed resetting and is ready to use.
How to update Garmin GPS?
You need to install software updates regularly so your Garmin GPS device can function properly. You can download and install the latest map and software updates from Garmin Express for your device. Proper updates make your device more accurate and efficient in calculating routes to your destinations. You can install updates from both Mac or Windows system from Garmin express.
Follow these steps to install updates for Garmin GPS:
- Open a web browser in your computer or Mac.
- Now enter the web address www.garmin.com/express in the URL bar and click enter.
- Now you need to Select from the given options:
(A) If you are using a Windows computer, select Download for Windows.
(B) If you are using a Mac, select Mac Version.
- Let the file download and Open the downloaded file.
- Follow the instructions on your computer or Mac screen carefully to complete the installation.
- When installation has completed, click to Start Garmin Express.
- Make sure that you have properly Connected your Garmin device to your computer. You can use a USB cable for connection.
- Now let the Garmin Express software detect your device Garmin device.
- If you are not already registered you can Enter your email for product registration.
- When the Garmin express registers your device click on save device option.
- Now click on check for updates option.
- It will find any available updates and give you a list of available maps and software updates.
- Select the updates and click Install Now.
The software updates will start to download and install on your device. If the updates are large, this process may take some time to install the updates depending on your internet strength.
If you don’t see your issue here and need help with another issue contact our technicians for troubleshooting.